Last weekend (Oct. 24-26) Dad and I ventured north up to Baguio. This city is situated in the mountains where crops and vegetation thrive in the cool weather. The abundant flora provides food for the many beehives that dot the hills.
While there in Baguio, Dad and I attended the 3-day National Beekeepers Convention. About 200 Filipino beekeepers gathered to encourage each other and share information from the national apiculture research center. The session topics were interesting and the fellowship with Filipino beekeepers, enjoyable.
I would definitely have to say that the convention field trip was the highlight of the weekend. Early that Saturday morning, everyone piled into jeepneys and headed for Judith’s “buds and buzz gardens”. While at the garden, we marveled at the surrounding view and soaked up the fresh air.
At the end of the weekend Dad and I both proclaimed that the four-hour drive to Baguio was worth having the opportunity to “bee” apart of the Filipino beekeepers’ convention. The more I learn about the intricate bee society, the more I realize the magnificence of our Creator! Enjoy the pictures below…

An attempt at a group photo.... It seemed that almost half of the people wanted to take the picture!

Dad and I (and a cute Baguio tree!)

Hiking up to the hillside garden.

And there she stands... :-)

Can you count the bees? :-)

Dad with some new friends and fellow beekeepers.

Here is one of the odd (yet frequent) sites along the road trip. This time of year is rice harvesting in the Philippines. So, after the farmers dry the rice on the roads (yes! and cars do drive over it! Never can tell what is in your rice.... haha!:->), they bag it up and send it to the mill.
3 comments:
What a fun time Sarah! Glad you enjoyed the bee convention. It looked like the signs were in English...was everything in English?
Thanks for sharing...and for the pics!
Hey Megan, Yes most of the public signs here in the Philippines are in English...we are glad for that=)
-Sarah-
Ha, I just re-read your comment and realized you probably were asking if the Convention was in English...hehehe... well... I can say I am thankful that the Powerpoint presentation was in English so we could follow the main outlines. Some of the speakers weren't prepared to speak English, that was ok=) We still had a great time!
-SRF-
Post a Comment