Eventually, our curiosity got the better of us, and we finally tasted this unique fruit. (Also, because we live on “Atis Street,” we really wanted to try it.:->) So, since we branched out and tried something new, we just wanted to share with you what this new fruit was like.:-)This atis fruit (also known as Sugar apple) was quite delicious! You wouldn’t think so at first glance with its lumpy, pinecone-like texture covering the outside. Even though this is a tropical fruit, it was not at all sour or citrus-like. The taste reminded us of a grape, and the texture almost felt like custard.
Also, it was very easy to eat. The abundant crevices of the skin made it effortless to peel. By simply pulling on one of them the fruit opened up.
On the inside, numerous little black seeds were lined in rows and covered with a thin, fleshy layer of fruit. All we had to do was pinch off a section, suck off the fruit, throw the seed away, and keep some napkins handy. ;-) (It can be quite juicy) Whenever we try new fruits or vegetables over here, we also like to find tidbits of information about them. So, here are some interesting facts about the atis fruit
- It is a good source of iron.
- Here in the Philippines, the atis fruit is commonly eaten by a Fruit Bat, which in turn spreads the seeds from island to island
- Some people in the world use the seeds to help treat lice. They grind the seeds and apply it to their hair, but since the mixture can be highly irritable and can cause blindness, it is important to keep it away from the eyes.
Now that we have tried a new kind of fruit, perhaps we should branch out even more for next time.:-) Maybe we’ll be brave enough to try baloot…. On second thought, we’ll have to think about that one. ;-)
2 comments:
Ohhh, now I want to try Atis fruit! It sounds so yummy and you did a great job of explaining it! Being over in England I've tried a few new things and I hope to get to try more before we leave...now, not so sure how I would feel about trying "baloot"...I'll only go so far. :)
Just read on your side bar that you have been in the Philippines for a whole year! Wow, time has gone by fast. So glad you are having a good experience and am grateful for the blog so the we can keep up with your adventures!!
Love,
Megan
Have you tried Chico yet? or Guava or
Lanzones?
Not sure how I got to reading your blog but I read it from time to time.
I'm a Fil-American, I live here in the States now. Your blog is nice to read, makes me think of home. I really think it's awesome how you guys appreciate all the experiences of living in a foreign country.
Post a Comment