Monday, October 22, 2007

Visiting A Local Beekeeper

Hello everyone!

I just briefly wanted to tell you of an experience that Dad and I had visiting a local beekeeper, John Domagtoy. Since we haven’t been in a hive for several months, Dad and I were excited to find a beekeeper that lived nearby and was willing to show us his hives.

John is not only a keeper of 30 hives, but he also works for the government’s Coconut Development Authority and helps run the family taxi business. His interest in beekeeping began 5 years ago, when he wanted a supply of raw honey to help his son’s sickness. Not knowing of any beekeepers at that time, John began with what little he knew and has taught himself along the way.

The particular bee yard that Dad and I visited was located in Quezon City (30 min. north of Makati) on top of John’s relative’s rooftop. Interesting, huh? This is where he keeps the majority of his hives. John, like most beekeepers in the Philippines, imports his queens from Hawaii or Australia. As you can see from the picture, he isn’t wearing much protective clothing; that is because his bees were very calm.

As Dad and I were talking with John, he told us of some pests that beekeepers in the Philippines encounter, such as swift birds and lizards. Once a swift discovers an apiary, it can quickly diminish the bee population. Lizards also have a hay day munching on honeybees.

After examining several of John’s colonies, we enjoyed a merienda, or afternoon tea. During our merienda, John served us ginger tea with raw honey. After the merienda, Dad and I shared a few of our beekeeping experiences. When we told John about the youth beekeepers back in the states, he really liked that idea. He would like to see some Filipino youth become involved.

There really isn’t that great of a honeybee pollination outlet here. John said that most farmers don’t realize the extra yield their crops would produce if they had bees working the field.


I asked him where he gets his beekeeping supplies, and he said that his friend, who is a carpenter, makes all of his wooden hive boxes. Extracting equipment and queens alike are rather expensive since they are generally imported.

Dad and I really enjoyed meeting and visiting with John. I would have to say that the highlight of my day was tasting that raw coconut honey. :-)

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Sarah,
What a neat experience! I'm glad you have found a fellow beekeeper. By the way, you look so cute in the picture of you having your tea!
Love,
Megan

Camille said...

Hey,
sounds like you are all haveing a great time! It is amazing reading your blogs and seeing what God is doing through y'all!
God bless and I am praying for you!
~Camille Forsman